I’ve said it before: kitchens are one of my most favourite places in a home; therefore I cannot emphasize enough how important it is to pay attention to small details, that make a huge difference. As a designer, I always look for ways to help others update their places with minimal effort & budget. So, no excuses!
Although I have recently written a post on Top 10 Affordable Ways to Update Your Kitchen; those changes require a bit more elbow grease and might not be suitable for everyone. So, today I wanted to show you easy-breezy ways that you can jazz up your kitchen today with minimal effort & on a tight budget, that almost anyone should be able to do.
1. Just like an accessory can update and complete an outfit, so can sexy, new knobs! It is truly such an easy & affordable update, that will make a huge difference in an overall look & feel of your kitchen. Etsy, eBay, IKEA & Lee Valley Tools are just a few of my go to places.
2. Granny Smith apples in a pretty bowl is a designer’s go to accessory to add beautiful, vibrant color & style to any kitchen. On top of looking beautiful, it is a healthy snack! Remember the old saying: An apple a day, keeps the doctor away! So, get some next time you’re our for groceries.
3. Just because it’s hidden behind closed doors, doesn’t mean it shouldn’t be clean & organized. So, tackle that area under the sink cabinet & make room for cleaning supplies, garbage & recycling. It’ll give you a smile every time you open that cabinet door.
4. The cheapest & most cheerful update is a new set of dishtowels! Get rid of the old ones, that you can use for polishing up silverware etc, but keep them out of sight. Instead display a new set for an instant visual positivity boost.
5. Admit it, we all have one – that dreaded junk drawer! It is time to tackle the mess. Clean & organize using this adjustable drawer organizer system from IKEA
7. Speaking of smelling delicious, why not make your own natural air-freshener? In a saucepan, bring 2 cups of apple cider to a simmer. Add a few slices of lemon, cinnamon sticks & 1 tsp whole cloves. Simmer for a couple of hours, adding more cider as it evaporates. (Source: Style At Home)
9. Tired of your old table, but don’t have the funds for a new one? Here is a solution: Invest in a pretty, new acrylic tablecloth for an instant punch of color & style, not to mention an easy clean up! (just wipe it with a damp cloth, and voila, it’s as good as new!)
10. And finally, nothing livens up as space like a bouquet of fresh flowers, so next time you buy groceries, bring home a bunch of daisies for the kitchen table or island, that are sure to put a smile on your face.
Hope you found these tips useful, and will implement them in your own kitchen for an instant cheerful update that is sure to brighten up your days! Have any more tips or questions? Feel free to share in the comments below.